Thaicoon & Sushi Bar

Okay, somebody slap me for making that ridiculous statement that store-bought sushi is better than the restaurant kind. Slap me now!!!

So, I have been craving sushi all week and I know the store-bought sushi spawned these cravings so go easy on the slaps :)

Thaicoon & Sushi bar, I understand has two locations in the Atlanta area but I visited the one in Downtown Marietta. I loved it’s beautiful location, just off the train tracks in historic Marietta square.

It is a Thai restaurant that serves Sushi, the plan was to make it a sushi evening but if I have not told you this before, let me tell you now, I looooooooooooove Thai food!

My sister and I walked in, I called ahead to confirm that we did not need a reservation, we got there about six thirtyish, so it was just picking up, Thai restaurants normally open for lunch then shut and reopen about fiveish in the evening for dinner . I wanted to sit at the bar but my sister wanted a table, it was my treat so I let her have her way.

Now, I was extremely apprehensive about the Sushi because I have had bad Sushi before, as for Thai, I have never had bad Thai food. So, we decided instead to order the Sushi as an appetizer then have Thai as our entrée. Chickens!!!

The restaurant is quaint, hard wood floors, it was pretty packed, families with kids, a few couples and a few parties. As we sat and noshed, at several intervals, a train would go by, I rather enjoyed the vibrations I felt as they went by, hee hee, I'm such a naughty chica :)

We ordered the Caribbean Roll as our appetizer. Oh, my GOD! It was delish!!! Now I know why at the Sushi bar these three guys ordered this huge Sushi boat. The Caribbean roll comprises of Shrimp and Crab, avocado, cream cheese, with salmon roe (caviar) sprinkled on top. It was fantastic and I know I will be back for more.

As the evening progressed, the restaurant became packed, there were so many people waiting to be seated and I know why, the food is fabulous!

For my entrée, I ordered the Panang curry with shrimp, chicken and scallops and a Thai tea as my drink, yeah no Sake for me; my sister had the Massaman curry with scallops and chicken, which too was excellent!

You know how you go to Japanese restaurants but the chefs are everything else but Japanese, well, that was not the case here, the chef's were authentic grade A Japanese. Yes, I watch out for things like that!

It was fantastic and I give them four winks, for location, great location, you can have lunch or dinner then walk it off around the square. For ambiance (there was a local celebrity there too, cannot remember his name but he's funny, so it’s a great place for local celebrity sightings, if you care!) For price, it was not too expensive, actually it was just right but most especially for taste. The food was beautiful and I would definitely recommend! My sister loved it, and she knows food! We have different tastes but we both agreed that this place is superb!

Comments

Lolita said…
I should mention though that the rolls were a little big(in circumference). I say this because you should be able to fit a whole roll in your mouth and allow the marriage of all the contents blend together, while chewing, before swallowing.

I found myself taking two bites, which ended up a little messy, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.